Alias Web Domains
How To Add An Alias Web Domain
Author: David Boutcher (http://www.badbison.com/)
To add a simple web domain alias is straight forward. This can be useful if you have have more than one domain name for a site – a browser can type either url and will still end up in the same place.
In this example we will use the domain prizepalace.co.uk and it will redirect the browser to the parent site of badbison.com. From the ISPConfig 3 control panel:
- Click Sites
- Click Aliasdomain for website
- Click Add new aliasdomain
- In the domain name, complete the new domain name that you want to add as an alias. In this case we’ll be using ‘prizepalace.co.uk’
- Use the drop down to select the parent website. This is the site that you have already created and for which prizepalace.co.uk will redirect to
- In this example we won’t use any flags to redirect, so just leave this as ‘no redirect’. It will direct the browser to the root of the site
- Because we’re redirecting to the root, leave the redirect path blank
- In the Auto Subdomain drop down, use ‘*.’ The means it will use any prefix before the domain name. eg www.prizepalace.co.uk prizes.prizepalace.co.uk
- Check ‘Active’.
- Click ‘Save’
Now you MUST create DNS records for your alias domain. If you don’t, your name server won’t know where the alias is hosted.